Injury attorneys play an important role in advocating for the rights of people hurt due to someone else’s negligence or wrongful act. Having quality legal representation could make all the difference in the outcome of your case and your future comfort if you’ve been hurt. So, how do you choose the best injury lawyer in Maryland? You can make an informed and intelligent choice by considering the following factors.
1. Determine Your Needs
Not all lawyers are created equal. Some focus exclusively on injury law, while others may primarily work in family law, criminal law, or another area and dedicate a small portion of their practice to personal injury. While working in multiple practice areas does not diminish a lawyer’s credentials, working with someone dedicated to injury cases is wise.
Personal injury cases are legal disputes that occur when one person suffers an injury due to another party’s negligence or intentional acts. Personal injury accidents cover incidents like:
- Auto accidents – Traffic collisions are one of the leading causes of accidental injury in the United States, hurting millions of people every year.
- Motorcycle accidents – Because motorcycles offer little protection against impact, these crashes can result in serious, life-changing injuries.
- Truck accidents – Collisions involving large trucks often cause severe injuries or fatalities. Liability in truck accidents may rest with multiple parties, such as the driver, company, and manufacturer.
- Bicycle accidents – Like motorcyclists, bicyclists are at heightened risk of catastrophic injury in a collision with a motor vehicle.
- Pedestrian accidents – Pedestrians have the right of way in many circumstances but often suffer severe injuries when struck by motor vehicles.
- Slip and falls – Serious injuries can occur on private or public properties when a property owner is careless. An experienced accident lawyer can determine whether a property owner or occupier is liable for a slip-and-fall injury.
- Medical malpractice – Many healthcare professionals, such as physicians, pharmacists, hospitals, and staff members, can be liable for negligent treatment that injures a patient.
- Wrongful death – Certain family members may recover compensation for the death of their loved one, provided another party is to blame.
- Premises liability – Property owners must keep their premises safe for lawful visitors. When their failure to do so results in injury, they can be held financially accountable for the consequences.
Each type of case presents unique challenges and complexities, so hire a lawyer who has successfully handled claims similar to yours. You want someone who understands Maryland personal injury laws, local court systems, and procedures. This knowledge and experience can help them identify potential obstacles and devise effective strategies to overcome them. Additionally, a lawyer who has experience with your type of case will better understand the possible outcomes and provide you with realistic expectations.
2. Conduct Thorough Research
When it comes to finding a Maryland personal injury lawyer, investigating your options is crucial. Your case’s outcome heavily depends on your chosen lawyer’s competence and experience.
One effective way of finding a qualified personal injury lawyer in Maryland is by browsing online legal directories and resources. These resources have information on a lawyer’s qualifications, areas of expertise, and reviews from previous clients. Reviewing these guides lets you compare lawyers and decide who you want to interview.
Getting advice from friends and family is another important consideration when choosing a lawyer. You can find an experienced and reliable personal injury attorney by asking people you trust if they know a top-quality lawyer.
Lawyers also have professional networks. Referrals from fellow attorneys who have worked with the attorney and can vouch for their professionalism and knowledge can be a helpful starting point in your search.
3. Evaluate a Personal Injury Lawyer’s Credentials
Reviewing a personal injury lawyer’s credentials is vital when seeking the right legal representation. Check their background, certifications, and state bar admissions. Another way to further assess a personal injury lawyer’s qualifications is by looking into their professional awards and memberships in legal associations. This information can provide valuable insights into a lawyer’s reputation, experience, commitment, and standing in a competitive, results-oriented field.
4. Review the Lawyer’s Success Stories
Reviewing a lawyer’s track record in similar cases can help you decide if they’re right for you. Understanding the difference between settlement and trial success rates is also important. While a lawyer may have a high settlement success rate, it does not mean they do as well in court. While most personal injury claims settle without the need for trial, there’s no guarantee you will get a fair settlement offer. It’s a good idea to hire someone with proven trial skills.
5. Consider the Lawyer’s Accessibility
Your ability to reach your prospective lawyer is another critical aspect to consider before deciding. The lawyer must be available to handle your case and answer your questions throughout the process. Ask about the attorney’s preferred communication methods. Some are more hands-on than others.
Another element of accessibility is whether the lawyer who meets with you is the one who will handle your case. In some firms, your case may be handed off to a junior attorney rather than the partner who met you during your first consultation. If having the same attorney from start to finish is important to you, make sure to ask this question.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Maryland Personal Injury Lawyers
If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a Maryland accident, you want the best personal injury attorney to handle the case. Finding the right lawyer takes effort, but it is well worth it when looking for results that make a difference.
At Trollinger Law, LLC, we want you to feel confident in your choice of lawyer. That’s why we offer free consultations to prospective clients. Come tell us your story and find out what we can do for you. There’s no obligation, so you have nothing to lose. Contact us today to get started.