Truck Accident Settlements in Waldorf, MD
Getting a fair truck accident settlement is paramount for crash victims. Injuries from truck accidents tend to be severe, resulting in substantial financial losses that can plunge victims into sudden debt. A successful legal claim can lessen those burdens. But with more money on the line, you can count on insurance companies to fight aggressively to minimize their payouts.
Furthermore, there are often more liable parties involved in a truck accident. On the positive side, it gives victims more potential sources of compensation. However, it often means more contentious settlement negotiations as parties toss the blame back and forth. That’s especially true in Maryland, where strict negligence laws can make or break a victim’s claim. All of these factors make the settlement process in truck accidents much more complicated.
There’s too much at stake to handle settlement talks alone. If you or a loved one was harmed in a semi-truck collision in Maryland, the Waldorf truck accident attorneys at Trollinger Law LLC will fight for maximum compensation for you. We won’t let the insurance companies cheat you out of the money you’re owed.
When you work with us, you get experience on your side. The National Trial Lawyers recognized firm founder Matthew Trollinger as one of Maryland’s Top 100 civil trial attorneys. With our legal team’s help, personal injury victims have recovered sizable settlements to help rebuild their lives.
There’s no better time to start than now. Call or contact us today for a free consultation.
What Is the Average Truck Accident Settlement Amount in Maryland?
This is a common question among personal injury clients. However, there’s not a one-size-fits-all answer.
Every truck accident case is different. A portion of the value of your claim can be calculated by identifying all of the losses you sustained in the accident and adding them up. These are what are called economic losses. This sum can be used as a starting point in settlement negotiations.
You’ll also need strong proof to document the value of your losses and evidence showing how the truck driver or another party acted negligently.
In Maryland, you can be compensated for losses such as:
- Medical bills: The injuries someone suffers in a truck accident are usually greater than what they might sustain in a car accident under similar circumstances. With help from the right lawyer, you can recover compensation for the cost of any doctors’ visits, hospital stays, lab work, X-rays and other imaging, prescription drugs, physical therapy, and other medical expenses related to the accident.
- Missed wages: The recovery process after a truck accident is different for everyone. It could take weeks, months, or even years after the initial incident to reach maximum medical improvement (MMI), or the point where you are not expected to recover any further. This means that accident victims lose a significant chunk of the income they might have received if not for the accident. Fortunately, you can seek compensation for the value of your missed wages as part of your truck accident settlement.
- Reduced earning potential: In addition to the short-term injuries that come with many truck accidents, many accident victims end up with long-lasting disabilities that limit their ability to earn a living. If you’re living with a long-term disability after a truck accident, Maryland law allows you to pursue the money you’re no longer able to earn due to your injuries.
- Pain and suffering: Recovering compensation for your pain and suffering can be challenging because there’s no specific dollar amount attached to how much you’ve endured. At Trollinger Law LLC, we’ll work with you and gather input from expert witnesses who can testify to the impact the truck accident had (and will have) on your life.
- Emotional harm: The physical pain, financial toll, and other effects of a truck accident can have a significant psychological impact on accident victims. This can include mental health disorders like anxiety, depression, PTSD, and insomnia. As with compensation for pain and suffering, it can be difficult to substantiate the emotional harm from a truck accident. You’ll have a better chance with help from an experienced attorney.
Factors That Impact Truck Accident Settlements
The extent of your injuries and other losses aren’t the only factors that can affect the value of a truck accident settlement. Some other factors that often play a crucial role include:
- Liability: Establishing who is at fault for your injuries after a truck accident is crucial if you wish to recover any compensation. In Maryland, you need solid evidence of liability to avoid losing out on compensation due to the state’s contributory negligence law. Maryland is one of a handful of states that use a pure contributory negligence standard for personal injury claims. Put simply, it means you can’t collect compensation if you contributed to the truck accident in any way. Even being one percent to blame means you collect zero dollars in compensation. This is one of the most important reasons to consider working with a lawyer who knows how to build an airtight case on your behalf.
- Quality of the evidence: While you may know what happened in the accident and who’s to blame, proving it to insurance companies or in court is another matter. You need compelling evidence to show how the responsible party acted negligently and caused your injuries. A proven truck accident lawyer can access proof that private individuals can’t do easily, such as cell phone records and truck company records, that may be key to your case.
- Attitude of the defendant(s): Even with solid evidence in your favor, the other party(s) involved in the accident may decide that they’d rather fight than settle. That could mean taking the case to trial, but lawsuits can settle at any time during that process.
Truck Accident Statistics and Facts
Here are a few key statistics about truck accidents in Maryland and across the United States:
- Nationwide, data from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) shows that there were 4,630 fatal crashes involving large trucks or buses in a recent year, resulting in 5,184 total fatalities.
- Additional research from FMCSA shows 121,000 truck crashes resulted in 176,000 injuries.
- The most current statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found 131 vehicles involved in fatal truck accidents in a single recent year.
How to Maximize Your Truck Accident Case Value in Waldorf
Taking specific steps after a truck accident can significantly protect your injury claim. Here’s what you need to do:
- Save whatever evidence you can from the accident scene. Take photos of the damage to your vehicle and the truck, as well as your injuries. Also photograph anything in the area around the crash that might shed light on what happened. Get the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident. Later, you can also request a copy of the police accident report.
- See a doctor and keep your medical records. You need proof of your injuries and how they occurred to recover any compensation after a truck accident. Your medical records are an essential piece of evidence.
- Talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. Trucking companies and other potentially liable parties in an accident claim may attempt to hide or destroy critical evidence that implicates them, such as the truck driver’s logs or information from the truck’s electronic data recorder. A truck accident lawyer can immediately request this evidence while you recover.
- Don’t discuss the accident with others. You don’t want to give any advantages to the truck driver or other potentially liable parties, so limit your discussion of the truck accident to your attorney, essential medical providers, and a trusted friend or family member. Keep any talk of the accident off social media, and let your attorney talk to the various insurance companies involved in your case.
Injured in a Truck Accident in Waldorf? Contact Us Today
To get fair compensation for your injuries in a Waldorf truck accident, you’ll need help from someone who knows what it takes to win and has experience handling complex cases. Let Trollinger Law LLC stand up for you. Your health and wellbeing are our priority, and you can count on us to fight hard for the justice you deserve.
It takes only a moment to get started. Call, fill out our contact form, or chat with us live to get in touch with an accomplished Waldorf truck accident lawyer.