Do I Need a Workers' Compensation Lawyer?
Workers’ compensation benefits provide a critical safety net for Marylanders who are hurt on the job. But unfortunately, getting those benefits isn’t always easy. Workers frequently find their claims challenged or denied. If you’re in a similar situation, it’s time to consider hiring a workers’ compensation attorney.
All Maryland employers are required by law to carry workers’ compensation insurance. Workers’ comp pays for medical treatment and provides partial wage replacement as employees recover from job-related injuries. These benefits should be provided regardless of who is at fault for the accident.
Navigating through the Maryland workers’ compensation system can be time-consuming and complex. An experienced workers’ compensation lawyer at Trollinger Law LLC can simplify the process for you. We’ll prepare your claim thoroughly so that it doesn’t get caught up in the red tape. If you’ve already been denied, our legal team can prepare a strong appeal for you.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
When You Need A Maryland Workers’ Comp Lawyer
A workers’ compensation lawyer may be unnecessary if you suffered a minor job injury. An attorney’s advice is particularly important if:
- You suffered serious injuries.
- You cannot return to work or work in the same capacity you did before the accident.
- Your claim is being disputed.
- Your claim has been denied.
- Your settlement offer does not cover all of your injury-related expenses.
- Your employer says your injury is not work-related.
You should also contact a trustworthy attorney if, at any point, you feel unsure about the workers’ compensation process in Maryland.
Advantages Of Hiring A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
Hiring a seasoned workers’ compensation attorney in Maryland has many advantages. These include:
- Knowing the system: Disputes over workers’ comp claims go through the Maryland Workers’ Compensation Commission (MDWCC), which has specific rules and procedures that must be followed. An attorney who is familiar with these processes and the necessary paperwork can ensure that the right steps are taken to give your claim the best possible chance of success.
- Knowing what you need: Though workers’ compensation benefits should be paid regardless of fault, you still must document your injuries with medical records, doctors’ opinions, and evidence that the injury occurred while you were performing a task that fell under the scope of your employment. A skilled workers’ comp lawyer can evaluate your case and collect what you need to build a strong and complete claim.
- Looking out for you, not your employer: Your employer’s insurance adjuster looks for ways to save money by not paying you full benefits. A Maryland workers’ compensation attorney can handle all communications with the insurance company so that your rights are protected.
- Proving that you mean business: Employers and their insurance providers are aware that proven workers’ compensation attorneys like Matt Trollinger deal with big insurance companies every day. While they may try to exploit a worker’s unfamiliarity with the workers’ comp system, they’re less likely to do so when they know that you have hired a lawyer to represent you.
- Identifying errors and correcting them: Adjusters sometimes make mistakes. But those errors can be devastating for injured employees who rely on the correct amount of compensation to make ends meet while they are out of work. An attorney will know the full amount of benefits that you are entitled to and will fight to make sure that any oversights are corrected.
- Exploring alternative sources of compensation: The Maryland workers’ compensation system is designed so that you are unable to sue your employer for a job injury. But sometimes, the fault for an accident could actually lie with a third party (e.g., the maker of a defective product that injured you). In addition, workers’ comp does not pay for non-monetary losses like pain and suffering. A lawyer can determine whether you have the option to file a personal injury lawsuit against the third party for additional compensation.
At Trollinger Law, we have the knowledge, determination, and resources to fight for the workers’ compensation that you deserve. If you’ve been injured in Waldorf, Charles County, or a surrounding area, you can count on Trollinger Law to stand by you every step of the way.
How A Lawyer Can Help If Your Claim Was Denied
If you have had a workers’ compensation claim denied, don’t give up hope. Employees can request a hearing with the Maryland Workers’ Compensation Commission. Although a lawyer is not required to represent you during the workers’ comp appeals process, we strongly encourage you to consult one before moving forward.
Appeals require compliance with technical procedures and document filings that explain why you believe the decision to deny your claim was incorrect. An attorney can gather the information you need to support your claim before the hearing.
If the initial hearing does not go your way, you can request a rehearing. It’s important to note that there are time limits. You only have 15 days from the date of the Commissioner’s decision to ask for a rehearing. It’s critical to contact your workers’ compensation lawyer as soon as you receive your denial so that you can decide on your next steps.
If you are denied once again, you have the right to appeal to a circuit court.
Does this all sound complicated for someone who trying to regain their health? It is. That’s why it’s smart to talk to a workers’ comp lawyer who will be looking out for your best interests.
We Demand Maximum Compensation for Maryland Workers
If you’re asking yourself whether you need a workers’ compensation attorney, there’s a simple way to get the answer. Schedule a free consultation with a Waldorf workers’ compensation lawyer at Trollinger Law.
Our primary concern is to ensure that you obtain the maximum compensation that you are entitled to after a job injury. No matter where you are in the workers’ comp process, our legal team can step in to ensure that you are being treated fairly. We will also investigate the circumstances of your accident to determine whether an outside third party may be held liable in a separate lawsuit.
When you work with us, you’ll find a law firm that is dedicated to enforcing the rights of Maryland workers. You have every right to expect that your workplace is safe. If something went wrong, you deserve to be compensated for it.
Reach out to us today to arrange your free case review.